Friday, September 18, 2009

The Night


I rise with the afternoon a moment much too soon
Open my eyes to a blinding light
With not the slightest idea what occurred last night

I feel the night
A hazy, blurry mess that was over before it began but I know I will do it again
I smell of the night
Liquor, cigarettes and cologne is the aroma which I cannot break away from
I taste of the night
Stale from the environment that I do not fret
I hear the night
I listen to the sounds that are muffled now more than before I ever swore
No more!
I see the night
I look in the mirror and I cannot recall who I am glaring at
No matter how hard I try
I always turn into that guy
Wake up with a girl who I do not even know
Wake up with a wound I cannot explain
Wake up with a pain that I bare to no one but myself
I sit bare in the shower
For a couple of hours
Try to clean this mess of a person
No matter how hard I scrub the night never comes off
Worst part of all is that this does not only occur at night
I call it night because I am in the dark

1 comment:

  1. This one spoke to me -- Reminds me somewhat of Charles Bukowski. "I rise with the afternoon" is a good intro, (might make a good book title) and I like how you repeat the sensory statements "I feel/hear/taste/see the night" like a camera shutter capturing it over and over, and repeating it out, in between a pregnant pause makes it stand out. Your use of the night as a metaphor for your emotional state also makes for a solid ending.

    ReplyDelete